Saturday, March 1, 2014

Me talking..


So I got shanghaied into hosting the annual event at Mesilla Valley Bosque State Park, and the theme we settled on was a Geocaching 101. I definitely spent more time worrying and preparing for the event than necessary. I downloaded the official Begining Geocaching powerpoint from groundspeak.com, and also put together my own presentation called the DOs and DONTs of geocaching. I had copies of other people's geocaching 101 presentations as back-up and spent time fretting over whether the tone of the presentations was more suitable to beginners or people who already knew a thing or two about geocaching. In the end, it didn't matter much. People showed up, the regular local geocachers and newbies alike. Everyone chatted, sat through a brief introduction and then little groups formed of people going out to find geocaches. That's really the best way to learn, have someone experienced go with you and hunt for some caches. I never ended up presenting most of the stuff I brought, or using many of the ideas I had for the event... they weren't necessary at all.

And I guess I'd do it again, it was fun. I enjoy geocaching and am willing to talk about to others who show even a slight interest. I guess that's pretty natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment