Saturday, March 22, 2014

Navigating without a GPS device

With all the geocaching I've been doing with the family, we have become quite good at using our GPS device to navigate. I love using it on long hikes in rugged terrain, since it has built in maps and never fails to tell me where I am. But even though GPS enables an easier more user-friendly navigation, it is still good to know the basics. Good old fashioned compass and map navigation. Compass navigation was the theme for an event I took the kids to this morning at the MVBSP, part of their Navigation Series.
My compass is not in the best shape, with a huge bubble obscuring the needle, but it still functioned well enough. The course I took the kids on was geared towards beginners, with orange flagging at each way-point to let you know you were on the right track. I showed the kids how to set the compass bearing and to count out paces and we were off. Levin was especially helpful in counting out the paces, as we struck off at different bearings throughout the park. Along the course were a few cans of candy canes, which the kids eagerly raided. My compass skills were not too shabby, it's nice to put away the GPSr and re-familiarize with older technology. It was a beautiful day in the park, no winds and warm temps. We passed a group of excited birders going to sight a Pippit on the Rio. All in all, good fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment