Sunday, December 28, 2014

How geocaching sculpted our roadtrip: Part 2 Two Roads Diverge in a Wood

The second part of our geocaching road trip was just a single day's drive, between central NY and central NH, and we drove through some really scenic parts of rural Vermont and NH. As with Part 1 of our roadtrip, I had researched cool geocaches to find along our route. After driving through most of NY, we pulled over near the Vermont border for me to find an interesting Virtual cache called a Murder Mystery. It was indeed a pretty neat little spot that would be missed by just about everyone driving by, but honestly one of the reasons I was interested in finding it was because it was by a CO, Briansnat, that I recognized from the geocaching forums. In fact, he's a pretty big personality on the forums, and also someone who I have come to respect and regard as one of geocaching's best ambassadors, at least on the forums. So finding a cache by him was pretty cool. And it was a quick stop, so the family barely noticed.

TBs on Robert Frost
Our next stop was in Bennington Vermont, where we got out to see Robert Frost's gravestone. I'm not big into poetry, but even so I really respect the poetry of Robert Frost. Perhaps that's from my New England upbringing, having to memorize his poems by him. For someone who grew up walking through New England woods, the poetry hits close to home. Seeing his tombstone was a novelty, but it felt strangely right. And it also got us to stop in Bennington which is a really neat town. We ended up driving over to the war memorial next, not to find any geocaches, just to see the impressive Revolutionary War memorial.

After this stop, I really didn't have any cool geocaches flagged on the way to NH, and we didn't make or need any more stops. But this time I didn't feel like I wanted to make any more stops. Just being able to break up the day's drive at one place and find a few cool geocaches was all I needed to feel happy. That's not to say I would love to go back and find more geocaches along the route. Given the chance, I'd be back and finding caches up and down those hills in Vermont and NH. The caches in this area must be right up my alley, nice hikes along beautiful trails.

Rickety looking house in Bennington

Bennington War Memorial


No comments:

Post a Comment