Thursday, December 25, 2014

Geocache Maintenance, NY edition

I have two geocache listings in New York (Dangerous Bridges and Adirondak Troll) that I haven't checked on in years. I hid both two years ago, on a previous Christmas trip to see the family, and neither has been found more than 7 times, so they aren't getting found much. But one of them was in a location where there was road maintenance and I was keen to find out how well they are surviving. Also, what CO doesn't want to check up on their caches when they can? Most of my caches are in hard to reach places, or involve tough puzzles, so they don't get found much, but that doesn't mean I don't want to check on them. I will always check on my caches if I am in the area. And what I found was pretty good. The Dangerous bridges cache was a little damp, and one of the swag items had gotten ruined, but it was right where it was supposed to be, and the log was in good shape. I dried it out, refreshed the contents and got it back in play. 
Logbook for Dangerous Bridges

Checking on a cache, a dangerous thing to do

The pristine Adirondak Troll cache

The Troll cache was in even better shape, almost pristine actually. This is a great feeling for a CO, knowing that despite years of weather and finders, the cache is still basically jsut how it was left. Mostly, this is due to how the cache is hidden, in a location almost completely protected from the elements. I should try to make all my hides this well protected.

No comments:

Post a Comment