Wednesday, February 12, 2020

5,000 Finds! Mexico Adventure!

5,00 Finds!
Arco at Land' End
As I approached my 5,000th find, I wanted to come up with something fun to do for my milestone. My previous thousander milestones included a tough challenge in southern New Mexico, a couple cool caves in Kentucky and in Tennessee, and a mega event, MOGA 2018. Looking back now, I can see that each milestone is in a different state, which is also kind of cool.

1000# Locked
# 
2000# Locked
# 
3000# Locked
# 
4000# Locked
# 



 
I thought about what would make a cool find for my 5000th geocache, and then realized that I had a big international trip coming up, and it would make for a perfect exotic location to get my 5,000th find. My family was traveling to San Jose Del Cabo, Mexico, to attend my sister-in-law's wedding. There aren't a lot of caches down there, but there definitely are some col ones, and I made it a priority to figure out how to get o one of the caches in Mexico.

Our trip got off to a rocky start, with a missed connection in Atlanta resulting in us arriving far later than planned, but we made it ok, and our first day in Mexico we planned an adventure out to Land's End, the southern mos tip of Baja California with an iconic sea arch... and an Earthcache.

We hired a water taxi to take us over to Pelican Rock, and after swimming and snorkeling for a bit, took a walk along the beach to Playa Del Amor, and the two Earthcaches and Traditional that I wanted to target for my 5,000th find. Land's End is a very cool spot, a rocky point with a narrow and very picturesque beach, with a sand walkway that connects from the Sea of Cortez side, over to the Pacific Ocean side. Everyone swims on the Sea of Cortez side, as it is protected from the hard surf, but the Pacific side is just stunning. While the kids ran around and played in the sand, I took off up the arid, rocky slope to see if I could find the traditional geocache here, GC3B92, I was a bit worried about finding the cache, as a previous seeker posted a DNF, but after searching around for a while, and using the generous hint, I spotted the container and yelped for joy. A couple TBs I had with me ended up getting left here, hopefully to be picked up by another tourist, and tey travel far and wide.

The two Earthcaches, GC7HT6P and GC319DN were also fun to do, especially the one about Tafoni, a funny geological term I hadn't heard before. The rock formations along with a nice sandy beach, and an exotic location... it made for an awesome milestone.
Neptune's Finger.. a part of one of the Earthcaces

Looking out at the Pacific

Tafoni on the rocks

Divorce Beach and the Pacific Ocean

Geocache Success!



Water Taxi taking my family to Pelican Beach

It will probably be a few years before I need to think about my 6,000th find, but it will definitely be hard to top this mile stone.
The cache was up there somewhere
Pretty sure I am in this picture somewhere, looking for the geocache on the talus sope


Triumphant Return

Triumphant earthcache Pic

Me and my daughter



No comments:

Post a Comment