Saturday, April 22, 2017

MOGA 2017

I got up nice and early on race day, because they wanted all the geocachers racing in the individual competition to be at the location by 7am. That meant getting up at 6am, and preparing for the race, but this is no big deal. My normal wake-up time is 5am. I packed all my racing kit, including a bag of extra clothes, and went downstairs to get my free hotel breakfast. Fueled up on eggs and bacon, I drove out to meet the rising Kansas sun and see what the competition area would look like.
Sunrise at the Lazy T Ranch, with one of the event gadget caches in the foreground.

The competition this year was at the Lazy T Ranch. I learned later that this is the first time the course has been on private land. Usually it is held at a state or county park I guess. I was one of the first competitors to get the waypoints loaded into my trusty Garmin 60CSx and I sat down with the map of the course to figure out my strategy.

Compared to last year, this course looked easy. Not only was there less ground to cover, but there were no odd multi-caches to throw off my route. The furthest cache was maybe a mile away and most of the caches were pretty well clustered in a few areas. This year, it would all be about speed. I had no doubt that people would be finishing well under the full 2.5 hours. Right before the race, all the competitors gatherd beneath a hill to take a group photo, and then the start was announced. "5... 4....3....2...1.... GO", and we all took off.

I started off by going west towards punch I25. And my start was pretty bad, because I ended up having to turn around after a few hundred feet because I was in someone's yard and I could hear the organizers yelling at me. "#42 you can't go that way!". I was wearing my #42 soccer jersey, so I knew this was me. According to the map I was looking at, I figured going by this proviate residence would be a good way to start, and I also figured that the houses here were part of the ranch and fair game as far as running around them goes. I don't recall them mentioning that going by the house wasn't allowed either, but apparently it was. So i had to back track a bit, and then work my way up a hillside towards I42. A couple other cachers were also going this way, but I soon passed them and was off thrashing through the woods to my first goal. I got slowed down quite a bit around I25, as there were some nasty thorny shrubs in that area. nothing like getting all scratched up at the start of the race. things got easier after that one though and soon I was flying from punch to punch. Quiote frequently I would run into other cachers on the course, everything was just so compact, but I never was next to any one cacher for long. I was basically running my own race, so i just kept my head down and had it. 

The best part of the course was the highland caches, starting with I47. Above the wooded hillsides was a nice open prairie with great views of the hills all around, and relatively easy running between points. I say relatively because the prairie wasn't golf-course flat, and the tall grass hid all sorts of little holes and rocks. But I'm used to this kind of thing. It was very much like my training runs out in the deserts around Santa Fe, so I made good time on this portion of the course. There were a couple punches that took me a few minutes to find, but mostly I was having an easy time of it. that changed at punch I79, where I joined three other cachers who had been there 20 minutes already. I searched with them for 5 minutes myself, but got impatient. if this one was missing, I would just need to skip it. and if a whole bunch of other cachers couldn't locate it in 25 minutes I figured there was a good chance it was missing. So off I went. only two caches later, at I64, I ran into another tough one for me. Luckily, another cacher walked by and I asked for a hint and was directed to where the cache was hidden, tucked into the gaping hole in a root. The rest of the course was fast and easy and I was soon running into the finish area. Of course you have to finish strong, so I ran as hard as I could this last stretch and flopped down in front of the Race Official with my card. I must say, the folks hanging around the finish area seemed a little surprised that I was finishing already. I was definitely the first person to finish, and my time was pretty darn good.

The next competitor to roll in, (Joe a previous winner of the Individual Comp) asked about #79 immediately when trotting in. When he heard it hadn't been found by me, he raced off to give it another look. I debated for a second about heading out after him. If he turned up I79 and I didn't get it, he would surely win. But on the other hand, if I79 was indeed missing, my going back out could allow another competitor to come in and beat my time. So I stayed put and drank down a coconut water. The race officials sent someone out to look for #79 as well, and I sat there, trying to be patiently optimistic.

A few more competitors came in and finally Joe came back as well, defeated by not having found #79. My gamble had paid off! #79 was indeed declared missing and I was the winner of the Individual Comp! The whole course ended up being less than 4 miles in length, and took around an hour and a half to complete. WAY shorter than last year's, which no one completed and took up the full 2.5 hours. Last year I had run over 8 miles! In some ways this is a good thing. It allows more people to finish the course and have more fun with the course, even if they aren't running hard. I also wasn't as tired or worn out for mty next competition, and I had some bonus time to go caching a little bit before the team comps. Which is exactly what I did. I called up team TKO, who were out caching already, and figured out a spot to meet them, and off I went.

Caching with TKO, or as they are better known when they are caching together, PLSF for Possible Lost Sequoia Fairy is a riot. Those guys had a list of hard D/T rating caches, virtuals and earthcaches, and other fun and interesting caches to go after in the Manhattan area. I hadn't prepared at all for caching in the area, so it was great for me to just tag along and help try to find things. Also, they are all just funny and fun people to hang out with. We ended up scoring 5 or six caches before we needed to be at the competition area again.
Once back at the Ranch, we got our maps and punch cards and strategized over a picnic lunch. The course for the 4-man comp was more or less the same size as the individual, which meant one thing: it was going to be fast! We sat down as a team and developed our plan. The course divided up pretty nicely into 4 quadrants, with two involving a bit more distance, but slightly fewer caches to find. Marty and I took the longer distance routes, and Kim and Tom took the closer routes with more caches. There was one outlier cache, T13, which didn't really fit into any route, but was also fairly close to the finish area. We decided that this one would be captured by whoever returned to the finish area first. Hopefully, while this person was grabbing this last one, the other members would be coming in and we would all finish around the same time.
As with the Individual Comp, the race started with a group picture, and then a brief count-down. At the start Marty and I were running next to eachother, which was a little odd, because he was supposed to take off in a slightly different direction than I was going. He figured that out quickly enough though and we soon separated. I was following behind another fast geocacher, the CherryCacher, but we spit up too choosing to go after different first caches. My first stop was T57, and I got there pretty quickly. But after a few frantic minutes of searching I couldn't find the bugger, so I decided to go to the next one and see if I could get this one on my way back, when maybe more other cachers would be clustered around it. I ran over to T27 where the CherryCacher was searching and joined him. Less than a minute late two more cachers showed up and they finally found the cache. I waited my turn to punch in, then was off up the hills to my next prize. it seemed like I was the first cacher to tackle the high hills caches, and for the most part I was running on my own. I quickly found all the caches up on the top prairie and started running back to T57 to try to find that one. on the way I got a hint from CharryCacher that it was on the ground. Thanks man! When i showed up this time, it was a quick and easy find. I then ran over to the last cache in my quadrant, found it, and almost a second later got a call from Kim. Kim had just finished her area and was heading back to find T13. That meant all i had to do was run to the finish area and wait for the rest of my team.

Unlike the Individual Comp, there were already competitors at the finish area when I ran in. But there was nothing I could do but sit and wait. I did learn that two of the folks waiting there were on the same team, and on a team with Joe and the CherryCacher. The CherryCacher came in a few minutes later and they were looking like a shoe-in to win at that point. I thought about texting out to my team mates to see if I could help, but decided that probably would just add confusion, so i patiently sat and waited. Kim finally showed up and she had heard from the other members of our team. Apparently Marty was having trouble finding one of his, so Tom, who had finished his route, had gone over to help Marty find his last one. While we were figuring all this out, Joe, the last member of the other team came running in. Their team quickly sat down to double check that all punches were completed, then turned in their cards. There final time was ~37 minutes!
The winning team: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
So it didn't look like we would win, unless there was a strange fluke (hey one happenned last year), but Kim and I were still hoping to see Tom and Marty come charging down the hill to the finish area. Marty came in first, and Tom was only a short ways behind. We cheered them in, gathered our cards together and handed them in. Our time was ~46 minutes. Fast, but not fast enough.
With the team competition over so quickly, we had a bunch of extra time for some more caching, so off we went to find a few more of the areas interesting hides.
Pilsbury Falls

Of course its an Earthcache!
Konzaga Prairie, another fine earthcache
PLSF work on extracting an urban cache with a high D rating. Never would have gotten this one on my own, required a special TOTT
After some good caches found, I went back to the hotel to shower up and look for ticks. Thankfully none! We then all had dinner at a local bard/grill before heading over to the MOGA award ceremony. We arrived just in time for me to learn I had a winning raffle ticket. My prize was a cool Russian Ammo Can! If we had been much later the prize would have been given out to someone else, so our timing was perfect. Well, a little less than perfect, because no one on the PLSF crew had even had a chance to enter their raffle tickets into any of the drawings. They were too late... bummer. The award ceremony was much better run then last year's, with each contest being called out promptly and photos being taken off to the side while new winners were being called up.  As they were calling out the individual competition results, they passed over my age category for some reason, and I remarked to Marty "Why would they do that, it's not like the overall winner of the individual competition gets anything special." Or at least, that is what I thought. After calling out the 2nd and 3rd place finishers, the MC declared that this year, for the first time, they were presenting a new Cup for the overall individual Competition winner. It would be named in honor of a geocacher who had been instrumental in getting MOGA started, and who had passed away recently. And then they called me up! I was the first recipient of the new MOGA Individual Cup! 
MOGA 2017 crowd
When they got to the group competition, we knew what to expect, but I was still secretly hoping that somehow we had won. Up until they called team TKO up for 2nd place that is. We all went up to receive our medals, which are pretty darn cool. Then sat down as they announced the new MOGA cup winners, the team that had beaten us by nearly 10 minutes. We had run a good race, but they had run it faster. After that there was only one thing left to do. Hit the hot-tub! Nothing like a hot-tub and a cooler of drinks to relax after a long day of caching and competing.