Monday, November 16, 2015

Filling Holes


There are some ridiculous things that end up influencing geocacher behavior. Filling grids is one of these things and one in particular is the Calendar Grid. Occassionally a geocacher will be so enthusiastic about the game as to try to fill their calendar in the first 1-2 years, requiring lengthy streaking, or just plain dedication to going out and finding geocaches nearly every day. I can't include myself in this group of hardcore cachers. But I have kept my eye on my grid. After 3 years it was filling in pretty well, just by my regular caching activities. After my fourth year, I only had a dozen or so holes left so I decided to go ahead and make a concerted effort to fill those last holes, marking each day on my calendar. One of those holes turned out to be on my mother's wedding day, and it almost went unfilled. Were it not for a generous offer from my new step-father, I would be waiting until next February for sure.

Now, in November of 2015, I have just two holes left.
With the end in sight, my daughter and I went to Melton Hill Park for the first time and found a handful of nice caches there. One in particular was fun, a fairy door (or Elven door?).


Now I just have one last day before this grid is filled and then... well. Nothing special happens. But just like with other rather superfluous milestones, you can be sure that we will make a trip out of this day and find a fun cache.

No comments:

Post a Comment