Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Visiting a friends house... sort of


Today after my doctor's appointment in Powell I took Ada on a little side trip. We went to visit my friend's house. Too bad he wasn't home.

Well, probably no one understood that. But this is actually pretty cool. Back in Las Cruces, one of my geocaching friends was Victor Gibbs, aka The Marauders. When we moved to Knoxville he told me that I would have to go pay a visit to his family homestead. There is even a geocache there. Well, the months passed by but the Gibbs homestead isn't all that close to where we live, and we don't tend to travel by it very often, or at all. The one time I passed near it last summer was when I hiked House Mountain, and after that hike I had forgotten that I was close to the historic house. So after today's doctor's appointment in Powell, TN, Ada and I made a long side trip out to the site. It is very nicely preserved/restored (I'm not sure which), and if it were in a major park it would get loads of attention I'm sure. But it is located in a very unassuming area, surrounded by modest suburban homes, on a rather unremarkable stretch of country highway. If it weren't for the geocache that I was navigating to, I could have driven right past it.

So there you go Victor. I visited the family site. Dropped off a TB, and snapped a bunch of amateurish photos for you. I hope you enjoy.










No comments:

Post a Comment