Sunday, January 25, 2015

Haw Ridge Bummer

Pretty quickly after I adopted the Hawridge user account, I got in touch with the local reviewers about unarchiving some of the caches that are still there. I received an unequivocal "no". So that left me with the options of relisting the caches, or removing/changing them altogether. After consulting with a few of the locals from the TVG (Tennessee Valley Geocachers), it sounded like most people thought that relisting the caches would be worthwhile, since it kind of preserves some of the caching history of the park. Today I decided to take my run in the park, and I brought along extra logbooks, swag and ziplocs to spruce up some of the old archived caches so that they would be ready to relist. What a surprise it was when I couldn't find the first one, Sunken Treasure. I had just found it two weeks ago, and someone else had found it last week, but now it was missing? What a bummer. The same thing happened when I got to Big Bin. I'll probably never know how these disappeared, but I feel somewhat responsible. I really doubt that a non geocacher would have taken them, they've been unmolested for over 3 years while not listed in geocaching.com. It's much more likely that a geocacher was alerted to their presence from the recent finds, or even my blog. My recent attention to these caches may have led someone to come up with their own decision about what should be done with the containers, and voila, now they are gone. While I am a little bummed about this, it's not really a big deal. They were archived caches after all, forgotten by all, and pretty much geo-trash. If a cacher can turn them into something else cool, that is certainly a legitimate way of giving them new life. Still, I would have liked to relist them with links to the archived caches so people could peruse the history of the cache if interested. I did end up doing this with Troll Hole , and it got published within hours of me submitting it. Maybe I can still do this with another of the archived caches in the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment