Thursday, July 10, 2014

Some recent Stellar Caches

One of the minor pitfalls of finding really cool caches is that it is difficult to share details about them without giving away the fun. In the past few weeks the kids and I have found a couple really awesome caches. I think I can share a little bit about them without giving away where they were, or which geocaches I might be spoiling. And to be honest, I'm not sure any of the local Tennessee Valley Geocachers (TVG for short) are following my blog, so the risk is small.

This well camouflaged PVC container contains a home-made Cryptex
Ada shows the Cryptex

...and the inner container revealed
 I thought this cache was great; a home-made cryptex, an interesting method for figuring out the combination, a nice walk. But the kids were disappointed with it because I had advertised it as being a big cache with a possibility of toys. IN fact, the only thing that can fit inside the cryptex is a log book. The kids were not pleased. But we still had a nice walk.

 This cache is amazing just for its size and outer container, which is some kind of medium-sized munitions container. I've never run across one of these before, I'm not even sure where you'd get one (the internet I'm sure has suppliers...). It fit perfectly inside this hollow log.
Container is taller than Levin.

Contents of the munition tube
The contents only filled half of the tube, the other half was literally blocked off with a block of wood. The nesting plastic-ware was a neat idea that I've never seen before either, with compartments for the log, trade items, travel bugs and geocoins.

These two caches are definitely highlights of the area, and ones that I found unique, or at least haven't seen before.

No comments:

Post a Comment