Sunday, July 27, 2014

Geohash Collision

It's been a while since I thought about geohashing, but for some unknown reason, I found myself checking out the local geohash locations on peeron maps. The geohash was in an interesting spot, but not worth a trip. But just the act of checking the lcoation gave me the itch, and I found myself checking the site throughout the week, wondering if there would be a geohash nearby that I could stop by at. We actually live in a really great spot for geohashing, right at the corner of 4 graticules, so that if the geohash is close to any one corner, it is a reasonable distance to get to. Well, today there was a convenient geohash just down the road from us in Oliver Springs, and to make things sweeter, there was also a geocache collision there. So Levin and I hopped in the car, under the auspices of doing errands, and putted over to grab the geocache and geohash. The geocache, GC3EKBM, was 650m from the geohash location (36.0440391, -84.3360050) which was only ten feet off the road in some Kudzu vines. I snapped a cheesy selfie of myself at the location with my Nexus (camera was without memory card again!) and off we went to actually do some errands. Nice little diversion from the usual geocaching thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment