Saturday, June 28, 2014

One of Eastern Tennessee's most storied caches Geo Mojo #14!


One of this areas most loved caches is Geo Mojo #14 / / National Treasure, which is a 5-star difficulty cache in an abandoned train tunnel. Levin and Sasha were brave enough to accompany me on a rainy, foggy morning. The tunnel is roughly half a mile long with the cache somewhere near the middle, but without GPS reception you have to rely on measuring the distance you've walked, in the dark, through the mud... and hope that you end up in the right spot. Or you simply just search the entire length of the tunnel. I chose the latter on our first pass, and despite finding lots of interesting hiding spots, we did not find the cache. ON our return trip, I counted off our paces 1, 2, 3, 4.... 147, 148, 149... 298, 299, 300! I decided that 300 paces was about where we should start looking carefully. The mist was making it tough to search though since it reflected our flashlights' beams.
Typical view in the tunnel
We definitely might have passed by without finding it, it is given the most difficult rating for a reason. But something a little odd caught my eye... and sure enough, on closer inspection we had found this devilishly hidden cache! Now I am a little hesitant to post spoilers, but there already are some spoilers on the cache page, so I'm going to share some pics as well. If you do not wish to see the spoilers SCROLL NO FURTHER!






SPOILER ALERT 
















SPOILER PICTURES COMING UP SOON
















DON'T LOOK IF YOU PLAN ON VISITING THIS CACHE, IT IS BEST EXPERIENCED WITHOUT SPOILERS






















I WARNED YOU, NOW HERE THEY COME!






The cache is insidiously camouflaged with mud on the wall so it blends in almost perfectly. I was previously looking for hiding holes, or cracks, and if it wasn't for the slight crack at the top, I may not have taken a closer look and revealed this cache.


Evil indeed

How it slides out
Success!

Looting the cache


Happy Dance
We traded trackables and I left a new headlamp in the cache, and cleaned out some of the geo-junk that people leave for swag. I cache like this one deserves good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment