Friday, May 16, 2014

My Knoxville geocaching inauguration

For my inaugural Knoxville geocaches, I went for a run in IC King park, which was pretty close to where we were staying. We hadn't hit up any geocaches for our first several days in town, we were too busy with finding housing. But once we had a lease agreement signed, I was eager to see what the caching is like here. It was a weekday morning and I had the trails to myself. Well, the dog and I had the trails to ourselves. I was particularly worried about getting posion ivy, but not enough where I wouldn't go after the caches. I started with GCJAJ7 and ended up stopping at 10 caches for my ~5 mile run. Almost all of the caches were pretty far off the trail, and through, what looked to me, patches of poison ivy. But maybe I just don't know my plants yet. The ones I found were good, large and old geocaches. Most dating back to 2004. Cool to see an area where 10 year old caches are not that rare. There is definitely a long standing geocaching community here. I ended my run at GCJD4X, where I failed to turn up the cache, but did find a dead snake. At first I thought it was a fake dead plastic snake and the cacher's were being clever. Nope, real dead snake! No shame calling a DNF on that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment