Thursday, April 10, 2014

Adopting out caches


I've started adopting out some of my caches in the Las Cruces area. It's something I've been hemming and hawing about for a couple reasons. It shouldn't be a big issue, but I've become pretty attached to my cache listings, perhaps unnaturally so. I don't want to let them go, I want them to forever be associated with my caching name, as memorials to my geocaching creativity. Utter hogwash, but sentimentality can get the best of me. It's not like I cannot still enjoy them if they are adopted out. I can continue to watch all the logs on them. But somehow the fact that those logs are no longer digitally tied to my geocaching persona irks me. Just plain silly. 

I started out by adopting out some caches to the GPSmen, who a have been big fans of my Datums series. Bye bye Matter of Datums 1, 2 and 3 as well as my Las Cruces Positioning System cache. GPSmen also got my Geohashing Challenge which they have been really into, continuing to find collisions even to this day. I know those cachse will be well looked after. The Marauders offered to keep an eye on my evil substitution puzzle, The Hills are Alive.. with the Sound of CODES. I suspect that that puzzle and cache location will have little to no need of maintenance for years to come, but if they ever do it's nice to know someone will be there. One of my caches which might require the most checking in on is my Young Park Scavenger Hunt, with it's 8+ stages in a popular park. Considering it has been going for a couple years now with only minor maintenance required, I'd like to think it was pretty well designed, but I'm still happy that Sexyboo graciously offered to keep it alive after we've moved.

But that's only 7 of more than 40 caches...In the end, I think most of them I will just leave as they are and hope for the best. Many are in areas that are unlikely to be disturbed, or found often. Hopefully they will survive many years to come. And when they need help, I can call on the friends I've made in Las Cruces to see if they can't be salvaged.

But what should I do about my all important ... stats! Yes, stats, that little number that assigns value or ranking. Something that drives one to madness. I am well aware of my stats, especially on such sites as the Lonely Cache Project. Many of these caches I am adopting out will mean my stats will change. no longer will I show as owner of XX number of caches, or a 5* difficulty puzzle. And my points on LCP will drop... that is unless I log all my caches as found. It sounds really cheesy, logging my own caches as found, but in a perverted way it makes sense. Whereas once these caches of mine contributed to my stats as ones I owned, they will be converted to stats by becoming caches I've found. I solicited some feedback on the LCP forums, but haven't had much response. I'd love to hear from folks though. Is this a brilliant or foolish thing to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment