Sunday, March 7, 2021

Paint Creek Hike

  It's been a while since I dragged the family out for a hike. I think my birthday was the last time... so with the carpet just installed, and a bunch of work in the attic complete, I unilaterally decided we were all going on a geocaching adventure in Paint Creek State Park. The area I had in mind is not in the main visitor area though, and is in a corner of the park that does not have maintained trails and is used mostly for hunting and fishing. This area has some natural rock arches and small caves. And geocaches to lead you to all these cool features.


The hike was pretty short, which gave us plenty of time to explore the rock formations. Liz had researched online and determined that the caves were closed to the public to protect the local bat populations. I think maybe her research actually was mistaken, and I was pretty grumpy about this, as I really wanted to explore the caves a bit. I did poke my head in the entrances a little, and spotted a few bats. Liz wouldn't let the kids enter, and didn't want me going in either, so I grumblingly assented.

The rock formations were pretty cool, and we at a picnic nearby and explored them for a bit. All in al, a good outing in a fun area.












No comments:

Post a Comment