Friday, September 8, 2017

Why not Latir today?

Latir Mesa is a remote wilderness area in the Northern part of the state that I have been eying for a hike for a year now. The main reason being... there are two very lonely, unfound geocaches high up above treeline. Why hasn't anyone bothered to visit these? Is the hike horrendous? Is the drive out simply too far to justify going after a few little geocaches? Is the mountain range not worth a visit? I had to find out for myself. And on September XX, I did.

Here is my answer to the above questions:
  1. While the hike is long, it is not horrendous at all. In fact, mostly it is on well maintained trails, and a huge portion of it is above tree-line, with scenic views all around.
  2. The drive wasn't too bad. 2.5 hours from Santa Fe, and mostly on nice highways. The last little bit up to the trailhead was a bit rough, but nothing I would call terrible.
  3. The Latir Wilderness is fantastic! Remote high peaks, great views, beautiful lakes. Sure they aren't as rocky and jagged as some stuff a bit further north in Colorado, but still... great hikign area.
Here are some pics of my hike.


Some bolete mushrooms I harvested along the trail




FTF!




Puffball mushroom on the mesa

Cabresto Lake

Oh... and I did manage to nab a FTF on both GC6MHF5 and GC6MHED. WooHoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment