Sunday, March 27, 2016

One if by land... 5 if by sea?

There is a terrain 5 earthcache not far from my homebase that I've wanted to find for a while, GC151QV, also known as Kingston Arch. It is rated terrain 5 because it is nestled up against a river bluff and access is by boat. At least that is how everybody had found it so far. The cache page does mention that it might be findable with technical rappelling gear, and I just so happen to have the right gear, so I've been itching to go after this earthcache and be the first to get it by the land route. I invited my friends MTippets and GISpuma since there was also a small cave like thing near the cache which seemed like it might be worth investigating. I carried my 50m rope and all the gear I would need to make the rappel/ascent, but it turned out not to be needed at all. While the bluff was steep, there were scramble-able routes along it and all three of us made it to the arch without much difficulty. Guess i could have left the ropes at home. So the cache is not a terrain 5 by land, at least not in my opinion... but it isn't a 1 either.
Scrambling along... nothing too hard right?

A very low river

At the arch

Mitch probes the depths of the "cave". It didn't go any further than this

Natalie waits outside

Doggy Cave Kiss

No comments:

Post a Comment