Friday, April 17, 2015

Seeing your own cache through someone else's eyes

As a CO I love getting nice logs and hearing about other's experiences on my caches. It's just one of the things that makes placing caches fun for me. What is rare for me though is to actually be with other geocachers who are looking for and finding one of my caches. I got the chance to virtually do this for one of my caches recently when a geocacher took a GoPro video of his experience finding the cache. The cache is Bear Necessities, one of my earlier cache placements but also one of my more popular hides in New Mexico. I placed the cache while out camping with my family, and it is way out in the National Forest, so it only gets a few finds per year, and even went all of 2014 without getting a find. But every cacher that finds it really likes it, it's at almost 94% favorite point ratio right now, which for 17 total finds isn't bad at all. If you think you'll ever be in southern NM and wanting to find this cache without spoilers, then do not click on the YouTube link below. Otherwise, enjoy the spoiler video and see what this cache find is like.
One of the things I like about the video is that the geocachers do not find it right off, but search around for a few minutes first, guessing out loud what they think it might be. Also, it is flattering to hear what they say about me as a geocacher. Nice to know I have a reputation out there. I miss geocaching out in NM. So much freedom out there with all the public land at your disposal to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment