Sunday, February 22, 2015

One proud CO

I know I already posted about how receiving a nice log on one of your caches is a wonderful thing, but hey, this is my blog, I'll go ahead and post about it again. My latest geocache, GC5M4M4, was finally published a good three weeks after I originally hid it. I was quite pleased with how it all came together. I originally hid the cache on a quiet trail I had discovered a month ago while out caching with my daughter. At the time there were no caches on the trail, so I decided to place one out there. I had no real idea of what to do with the cache listing other than I wanted it to be a Mystery Cache. I took a bunch of pictures of interesting stuff along the trail hoping to be inspired to come up with something, and when I finally sat down to think about it I struck upon what felt like a great idea. Why not write the cache page as if it is a scientific journal. This isn't really  far-fetched idea for me, since my wife is a scientist and we talk about journal articles from time to time. Scientific articles have a lot of details about them that are conducive to hiding coordinates, plus I could make up some funny filler material and references. I got to work on it and a week later had what I hoped would be a good puzzle cache. And it just got published yesterday, after working out a few glitches with my reviewer. And pretty quickly people were trying to solve it, I could tell since I was watching the coord checker site and refreshing constantly. Some people seemed to be pretty far off track, but some progressed quickly to a solution and sure enough two people had correct solutions by the end of the day. The weather has been quite foul of late, and I didn't really expect people to drive out and then hike to the cache today, but early in the morning I saw the first "Found It" log. And a few more rolled in later in the day., One log in particular really made my heart swell (or was that my ego?). As a CO, logs like this one cause your face to grow a smile a mile wide, and leave it sticking there for hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment