Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A sad day for my geocaching activities

Not too long ago, I fell into possession of a Nexus 7 tablet. While kind of nifty, I never really considered getting a tablet for myself, seeing it as an unnecessary toy. However, I quickly found out that it made geocaching a whole lot easier, I even posted about it. It is super handy for navigation, having a bigger screen and maps than my Garmin GPSmaps 60Csx,a nd I can have thousands of geocaches loaded into it all the time, rather than just hundreds for a locality on my GPSr. Plus I could access geocache hints, descriptions, logs, all the perks of a paperless caching device which my Garmin isn't. It has been my caching companion ever since. But alas, all good things must come to an end. Just the other day, it fell out of my arms while carrying it around the house and the screen cracked. At first I didn't notice it had cracked, and frankly I had dropped it several times before. The silver bezel had chipped away in one corner and I had recently JB-welded a fix to it. So without looking, I tucked it back under my arm and off we went for a day hiking in the Obed. It wasn't util I pulled it out to help navigate us to our destination that I discovered something was wrong. I couldn't unlock the screen. Then on closer inspection I could see the cracks. Now if it was just cracked glass, but the screen still worked, that would be acceptable. But it appears the digitizer behind the glass also is malfunctioning, with some regions not responding, and others overly responding. So now I ahve a pretty much useless slab of electronics. All of a sudden, I am having to go back to caching the way I used to in New Mexico, and it just feels hard. Did I really put up with not having geocche information while out hiking? How did I know which geocaches were ones to target in a sea of crappy geocaches? Fixing the Nexus 7 will cost around $80, and I am considering it. But a brand new tablet can be had for as little as $150, would it be smarter for me to go for something newer? And then, our budget situation is not one that permits frivolous spending, maybe I should just get used to the old way of geocaching. Blasted butterfingers!

No comments:

Post a Comment