Saturday, August 23, 2014

My first hosted CITO

After visiting Potter's Falls a month ago with my kids, I decided it would be the perfect place to hold a CITO. It is a beautiful natural area, that sees heavy use from locals, so gets trashed with all the stuff you associate with partying kids. I posted the CITO mid-july, hoping to get a dozen or so geocachers to come out so that we could clean up the river along the way to LeMance falls as well. When groundspeak announced its 7 Souvenirs of August, I was hopeful that more folks would come out sto help them collect the souvenirs. As the weeks passed, I received far more notes from localks who couldn't come than who could, and in the end, we were a small crew of geocachers that came to pick up trash, and two of the geocachers were from quite far away in Kentucky, and just happened to spending a weekend nearby and decided to help out. I'm glad they did, with only 7 people, we managed to fill up a dozen contractor bags, and Potters Falls was looking pretty well cleaned up. Unfortunately, we did not have the man power to clean up the route to LeMance Falls, but Lostsole and Geofairy made the trip and managed to clean out one bag's worth of trash on their way out. All in all, despite not getting a big turn out, it was a successful trash pick up, and certainly something I would try to organize again. And after the clean-up, we went swimming (well, my family did, most the geocachers had their own agendas).

No comments:

Post a Comment