Saturday, July 18, 2015

Resisting the urge

Sometimes it is hard to not think about geocaching, especially when travelling. We recently took a long weekend trip to Maryland to visit my Sister-In-law and her family, who just moved. We made the long drive on Interstate 81, through much of Virginia, then skirted around DC and over to Maryland near Annapolis. There are a lot of interesting places along the 9 hour drive. DC itself is home to a huge abundance of old virtual caches among all the monuments there. Someday it would be fun to check those out. But the trip was not about geocaching, it was about hanging out with family, so I tried to keep myself from thinking about where there may or may not be geocaches nearby. We did end up walking past one geocache location in their neighborhood, but I only was able to search for about 30 seconds and couldn't find the cache. I guess the fact that I was thinking about geocaching at all meant that my attempt at resisting the urge to cache was failing. I did end up penning my name to a geocache, a park and grab in a shopping plaza that I grabbed while running some errands before our Chesapeake Bay crabbing adventure. And this is really what is at issue with my geocaching habit. The one geocache I find while traveling to Maryland to visit family has just about no redeeming qualities at all. It was not in an interesting place (shopping center), it was not a clever hide (magnetic nano on a bench), it did not entice me to do anything interesting (park and grab while out running errands). Really what was the point of it? Was the point simply to say I found a cache while on a trip? To have some stat about getting a cache in another state, even though I already have found caches in Maryland? Does finding it benefit me in any way? I don't have a good answer to any of these questions, because the bottom line is, I don't have a good reason for finding this cache. I simply feel this urge to find geocaches, wherever I am. Just knowing that there is one nearby is enough to make me want to have a look. There are times that I can get over this urge, especially if I end up visiting the location and it is really unappealing for some reason. But for the most part, this urge remains strong in me. Is this something I should fret over?

No comments:

Post a Comment